If you are wondering what to do with all those Ferrero Rocher you have around the house after Christmas, maybe you could try making these super indulgent Ferrero Rocher Nutella Cupcakes.
If you follow me on Instagram you may have already heard me talking about these possibly a bit too much, but to be honest, these so sound like a dream to me and have been described by family and friends as the best ones yet. So let’s talk about them,
What is in these cupcakes?
These cupcakes are made with a very standard cupcake recipe ingredients but have nutella added to their batter, a ferrero rocher dipped in and are topped with even more nutella, hazelnuts and then a lovely nutella icing. Surprisingly, these cupcakes are not rich at all, they have a lovely balance and some cocoa powder on the icing gives them a bit of bitterness. Also, the Ferrero Rocher in the middle makes them lovely and crunchy when you bite into them!
How do you make them?
Very, very easily! Simply put spread a layer of batter on your cupcake case, add a Ferrero Rocher and then cover with more batter until the case is 3/4 full. Once ready and cold, spread nutella, dip in hazelnut pieces pipe icing, top it all off with another Ferrero Rocher!
Ferrero Rocher Nutella Cupcakes
For the cupcakes (makes 18 cupcakes):
- 120 ml of vegetable oil
- 200 gr of sugar
- 120 ml of milk
- 155 gr of greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 150 gr of Nutella
- 260 gr of flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 9 Ferrero Rocher
For the icing:
- 400 gr of butter
- 100 gr of icing sugar
- 2 tsp of cocoa powder
- 120 gr of Nutella
- 4 tbsp of doble cream
- 50 gr of chopped hazelnuts
- Nutella (to spread over)
- 9 Ferrero Rocher
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees celsius, no fan.
- In a bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, sugar and milk. Then, add in the greek yoghurt and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add in the Nutella. If your Nutella is solid due to the cold temperatures, heat it up in the microwave for 10 seconds so it becomes runny but it’s not hot.
- Add in the baking powder and flour and mix. I highly recommend using a hand mixer for this so it’s well incorporated, as the batter is quite thick and may be hard to mix manually.
- Place your cupcake cases in a cupcake/muffin tin, using a cookie scoop, add a layer of batter in each case, it should fill up only 1/3 of the case. Then, place a Ferrero Rocher in the middle of each case and cover with more batter, make sure only 3/4 of the cupcake case is full and there is space for them to grow and not overflow. (See the pictures above for more detail)
- Cook the cupcakes in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are ready, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely. Once they are completely cold, make the icing by beating all the ingredients together with a hand mixer.
- To assemble, spread Nutella on top of the cupcake, then, dip it into the chopped hazelnuts (I put mine in a bowl), pipe the icing and finally top with an extra Ferrero Rocher.