A while ago I asked on my Instagram whether people would be interested in me sharing some mocktails as we approach the Christmas period, the response was absolutely overwhelming! So here is the first of them: an apple and ginger mocktail.
I have made this drink for all of us non-drinkers who are tired of being handed a juice or a soft drink every time they go out. It’s a delicious cocktail with a great balance of sweet and sour and it’s super easy to make!
Please do let me know if you try it!
Apple & Ginger Mocktail
Ingredients (for one mocktail):
- 50 ml of sharp, good quality apple juice
- 50 ml of ginger beer (non-alcoholic)
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops of lemon juice
- 3 tsp of simple syrup (see below for recipe)
- Optional: 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 slices of apple
For the syrup:
- The skin of 1/2 a lemon
- 100 gr of sugar
- 120 ml of water
- 3 points of star anise
- 1/3 of a cinnamon stick
- Prepare the syrup in advance by cooking all the ingredients in a pot over medium to low heat. Keep cooking until the sugar has completely dissolved. Transfer to a glass jar and let it cool completely. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- To make the cocktail, add plenty of ice cubes to a glass.
- Pour in the apple juice followed by the ginger beer.
- Then, add in the simple syrup followed by the vanilla and the lemon.
- Stir the mix with a spoon ir stirrer.
- Decorate with some apple, star anise and cinnamon.
NOTE: I “smoked”my glass by carefully lighting the end of the cinnamon stick and putting the glass over it for a few minutes. Make sure that the stick is not actually on fire when you do it, just smoky, make sure you do this on a surface that is fit for purpose.