These breakfast rolls are what would happen if you could eat a blueberry cheesecake in the form of bread. Filled with delicious and juicy blueberry jam, they are topped with a vanilla cream cheese frosting and swirled with blueberry jam. The perfect weekend breakfast.
All about Blueberry Cheesecake Breakfast Rolls
Ok, you may be thinking I sound crazy saying that these are cheesecake breakfast rolls, but they truly remind me of a blueberry cheesecake! I mean, just think about it, there’s a base (ok, it’s not cookie), there’s a blueberry filling, there’s lovely cream cheese involved… what else can we ask for! I know it may sound like a bit of a stretch, but don’t knock it until you try it!
So, what’s in these rolls?
- The dough is made with a very basic recipe consisting of bread flour, sugar, milk, butter and yeast. I know some people add eggs to their breakfast rolls, but I like to keep it simple without them.
- The rolls are filled with delicious blueberry jam, I’ll be honest, I like to splurge on my blueberry jam, I love it when it has actual bits of blueberry, Bonne Maman is definitely my go to.
- Finally, the rolls are topped with vanilla cream cheese icing and more blueberry jam is swirled on top.
These rolls are so good while they are still warm, they basically melt in your mouth and the icing makes them even even softer and it’s just the perfect finishing touch.
Tips for the best rolls
- Be patient: dough takes a while and the raising time is proportional to the room temperature, so if your room is cold, it will likely take longer than usual. So be patient and don’t lose your sh*t, I know it’s easier said than done, but just wait and wonderful things will happen.
- Do not over bake: we all love doughy, gooey rolls. I mean, I particularly love underbaked rolls, but if that is too much, just make sure they’re still slightly soft in the middle and remember they will keep baking once you take them out of the oven!
- Use blueberry compote or very good jam: this is really optional, but as I mentioned before, I love splurging on jam with actual blueberries in it.
- Make sure the butter and cream cheese for the icing are at room temperature: this is important as otherwise your icing will be lumpy.
Blueberry Cheesecake Breakfast Rolls
Ingredients (makes 12 rolls):
- For the rolls:
- 400 ml of whole milk
- 90 gr of butter
- 750 gr of flour
- 22 gr of yeast
- 150 gr of sugar
- For the filling:
- 150-200 gr of blueberry jam
- For the icing:
- 150 gr of cream cheese at room temperature
- 50 gr of butter at room temperature
- 50 gr of icing (powdered) sugar
- 1 tbsp and 1/2 of whole milk
- 1 tbsp and 1/2 of vanilla extract
- 12 tbsp of blueberry jam
- Warm up the milk and let the butter melt in it. In the meantime, mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour the milk and melted butter into the dry ingredients and mix them well until you get a dough. Knead it over a floured surface for 5 minutes, then, put the dough in a lightly greased bowl (I use olive oil to grease) and let it rest for at least an hour or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it to get rid of the air and in a floured surface roll it until you have the shape of a rectangle. If you are struggling to get that shape, just cut the edges so it acquires that shape.
- Have the shortest edge of the rectangle closer to you and spread the jam over it up until the edges.
- Grab one of the long edges (to your left or right) and start rolling the dough until you get a long log. Cut the top and/or bottom edge if they seem uneven. Cut the rolls into 2.5-3 cm sections using either a very sharp serrated edge knife or floss (I used floss and found it extremely satisfying).
- Place the rolls into a greased baking tray (I use butter for this), don’t squeeze them together, leave some space between them to allow them to grow. Let the rolls rise for another hour.
- Once ready, pop them in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until they start getting brown on top.
- When they are ready or while cooking, make the icing by mixing all the ingredients listed above except for the blueberry jam and spread it over the rolls while they are still warm, top with the blueberry jam and swirl using the back of a spoon. Enjoy them hot or cold.