I’m still celebrating the start of spring and manifesting it’s actual arrival with these Lemon and Blueberry Cupcakes topped with super zesty lemon buttercream. These super moist cupcakes are made in one bowl and packed with juicy lemons and fresh blueberries.
Lemon and Blueberry Cupcakes
I know what you’re probably thinking, lemon and blueberry? In spring? Groundbreaking… but hear me out, these cupcakes are so so moist and easy, you’ll definitely be coming back for more! The lemon icing makes them even better, as it perfectly balances out the sweetness of the cupcake and the icing itself.
So what’s in them?
These cupcakes require very basic ingredients many of which you probably already have in your pantry:
- Vegetable oil – I like to use sunflower oil, but any flavourless vegetable oil will do. I wouldn’t advise using olive oil as it tends to have a strong flavour. I like to use oil for cupcakes because it gives them extra moisture and that beautiful bounce when you cut into them.
- Sugar and lemon zest – I like to infuse the sugar with the lemon zest but rubbing them together with my fingers for a couple of minutes.
- Greek yoghurt
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
- Eggs at room temperature
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Flesh blueberries (frozen are also acceptable)
- Soft butter – softer than room temperature but not melted, I allowed mine to come to room temperature and then popped it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Double cream
Lemon and Blueberry Cupcakes
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
For the cupcakes:
- 120 ml of vegetable oil (not olive oil as it’s overpowering)
- 200 gr of sugar + a bit more for sprinkling
- 120 ml of warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 155 gr of greek yoghurt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 260 gr of flour
- A pinch of salt
- The zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 110 gr of blueberries
For the lemon buttercream:
- 200 gr of soft butter (softer than room temperature but not melted)
- The juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 120 gr of icing sugar
- 3 tbsp of double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees celsius.
- Start by infusing the sugar and lemon zest by rubbing them together with your fingers. In a large bowl, mix together the vegetable oil and infused sugar, then add the warm milk.
- Fold in the yoghurt, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Then, add in the eggs and whisk them until combined.
- Fold in the flour, salt and baking powder and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Scoop the cupcake mix into cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Once they are ready, allow them to cool down completely before icing them.
- For the buttercream, mix all the above ingredients. I allowed my butter to come to room temperature and then popped it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Once mixed, pipe your cupcakes with the mix.