Introducing my new favourite spring bake: a lemon and blueberry crumb cake. This incredibly light and moist cake is full of delicious juicy lemon juice and zest, fresh blueberries and topped with a crunchy and sweet streusel. Serve it up for breakfast or dessert topped with hot custard and you’re in for an amazing treat!
Lemon & Blueberry Crumb Cake
Look, I know I say a lot that a certain recipe is my favourite recipe ever, but you know when you have a first bite of something and you think OMG this is amazing! Well, that’s how recipes like this one make me feel. To be honest, how can I not feel like this?! This cake is loaded with delicious blueberries, zesty lemon and topped with a crunchy streusel, I mean…
If you need any more reasons to have it, let me just say that this cake is genuinely the lightest, fluffiest, moistest cake I have ever baked and that I will using this precise recipe for any further cakes. The bounce you get out of this cake is just *perfection*.
So what’s in this cake?
The best part about this cake is that it’s so easy to make and calls for incredibly simple ingredients you probably already have at home. Here’s your shopping list:
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Greek yoghurt
- Baking powder
- Lemon juice and zest
- Brown sugar
A few tips for the perfect Lemon & Blueberry Cake
Use room temperature eggs – room temperature eggs whip to a greater volume, meaning your cake will be lighter and fluffier. They will also mix a lot evenly, which will avoid any lumps in your mix.
Beat your eggs one at a time – this will allow for more air to get into the mix. and therefore a fluffier cake.
Make your streusel first and keep it in the fridge – this is particularly important if it’s hot in your house, your butter must be cold when you’re making it and also when you top your cake.
Lemon & Blueberry Crumb Cake
- For the cake:
- 115 ml of vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
- 100 gr of granulated sugar
- 120 ml of greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp of vanilla essence
- The zest of 1 large lemon
- The juice of half a large lemon
- 3 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 195 gr of plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 150 gr of blueberries
- For the streusel top:
- 3 tablespoon of cold butter
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 40 grams flour
- 1 tbsp of lemon zest (optional)
For this I used a 18-20 cm springform baking dish with a removable bottom.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius.
- Start by making the streusel: mix all ingredients in a bowl using a fork or your hands until crumbly and clumping together. Place in the fridge until it’s ready to be used.
- In a small bowl, rub together the lemon zest and sugar to infuse it. Then, mix the vegetable oil and the granulated sugar. Finally, add in the greek yoghurt and mix again.
- Add in the eggs one at a time beating them into the mix every time you add one. Then, add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix again.
- Now add in the dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and mix just until incorporated, make sure you don’t over mix! Fold in the blueberries.
- Butter a springform baking dish and pour your batter into it. Take the streusel out of the fridge and sprinkle it over the batter. Cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes until a inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Eat cold or while still warm, this cake is particularly good with some lovely custard on top!
One response to “Lemon & Blueberry Crumb Cake”