I honestly didn’t think there was a way to make brownie cookies better, until I decided to sandwich them with a peanut butter buttercream, that was a game changer absolutely! And I must say, these cookies have been extremely popular between my friends and family, so popular there were none left the day after I made them!
I shared a brownie cookie recipe which was extremely popular both on here and with my family, so I decided to experiment a bit more with them and to be honest, they did not disappoint! I am now sitting here wondering what else I can fill them up with, maybe some salted caramel?
Anyway! These cookies are super easy and quick to make and yes, they are rich and they are the kind of cookies that you really have to eat one at a time, but they are SO good you will keep coming back to them! I also made sure I spreaded a good thick layer of the buttercream to get a good taste of the peanut butter, my mouth is honestly watering while writing this! So when you eat them, you first get the dark bitter taste of the dark chocolate to then start tasting the sweetness of the butter cream and are finally left with a lovely peanut butter flavour in your mouth, so good!
Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies
Ingredients (makes around 20 cookies/10 sandwiches):
- 95 gr of flour
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 225 gr of dark chocolate
- 57 gr of unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 100 gr of granulated sugar
- 90 gr of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 100 gr of chocolate chunks
- 80 gr of dark chocolate chunks
For the butter cream:
- 75 gr of peanut butter
- 75 gr of butter at room temperature
- 100 gr of icing sugar
- 1/2 a tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of double cream
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees celsius.
- Melt the butter and the dark chocolate together. You can do that either on the microwave or using a double boiler putting a bowl over simmering water (don’t allow the water to touch the bowl). Leave aside to slightly cool down.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder making sure there are no lumps.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla until incorporated. Then, add in the melted chocolate and butter and mix again. Finally, add in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix again. At first it may seem like the mix is dry and not mixing well, but just keep mixing.
- Add in the chocolate chunks and mix them with a spatula until combined.
- Rest the cookie batter for 3-5 minutes at room temperature. The idea is for it to solidify slightly so it’s not too liquid when scooping it and it doesn’t spread out in the oven, but we don’t want it so solid that you can’t scoop it out properly.
- After the dough has rested for a couple of minutes, scoop it into a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Make sure you scoop all of the cookies even if you can’t bake them all at once, otherwise it will solidify too much and they’ll be impossible to scoop!
- When the cookies are done, let them cool down completely before moving on to the buttercream.
- To make the buttercream, cream together the peanut butter and butter until nice and fluffy. Then, add in the rest of the ingredients until combined. Spread it generously on the brownie cookies, sandwich them together and enjoy!