I am sure by now you have heard about brownie cookies, if there is a food hybrid that is 100% satisfactory, this would be it, I mean, it’s a brownie cookie, right?!
I must say that brownie cookies as they come are absolutely perfection, but I found myself thinking, how can I make them just a bit more perfect (if possible)? *Lightbulb lights up* Nutella! These cookies have a dollop of Nutella on the inside that makes them oh, so indulgent, I do hope you try them and find them as scrumptious as I do!
Super easy cookies
The sound of brownie cookies may be a bit threatening, but they are surprisingly easy to make and require very little ingredients. That said, here’s a few keys to be super successful:
- Sieve the flour and the cacao powder, this is important to avoid lumps and make sure everything is mixed well.
- Freeze the Nutella, this will be massively helpful when adding it to the brownie mix.
- Let the dough chill for 5 minutes before scooping the cookies, the melted chocolate will harden a little bit which will make the cookies hold a round shape when you scoop them and put them on a tray.
- If like me, you cannot cook all the cookies in one batch, make sure you scoop all the dough first, otherwise, if you leave it on the bowl and wait until the first batch is done, the chocolate will solidify and it will be very hard to scoop them out.
Nutella brownie cookies
Ingredients (makes 14 – 16 cookies):
- 16 dollops of Nutella
- 95 gr of flour
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 225 gr of melted dark chocolate
- 57 gr of unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 100 gr of granulated sugar
- 90 gr of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 80 gr of dark chocolate chunks
I used a 5 cm ice cream scoop
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and using a normal teaspoon (not necessarily a measuring one) soop 14 dollops of Nutella, don’t worry if they don’t have the same shape, they are going inside the cookies. Put them in the freezer while making the cookies.
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees celsius.
- Melt the butter and the chocolate together. You can do that either on the microwave or using a double boiler putting a bowl over simmering water (don’t allow the water to touch the bowl). Leave aside to slightly cool down.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, the coca powder and the baking powder. Sieve the cocoa powder and the flour to avoid any lumps. Set aside.
- In a bigger bowl, combine the eggs, the sugar and the vanilla extract, mix well until combine.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter and mix again.
- Add in the flour, cocoa and baking powder mix and mix them with a spatula just until combined.
- Add in the chocolate chunks and mix again with a spatula. Let the cookie dough rest for around 3 minutes at room temperature.
- In the meantime, get the Nutella out of the freezer. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the cookie dough out of the bowl and with the dough still on the scoop, insert a dollop of Nutella in the middle, pick up a little bit of cookie dough with your finger to cover the whole left by the Nutella.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Let them chill on the tray for 10 minutes and enjoy!
- Important: if you can’t cook all the cookies at once, make sure you scoop all the cookies and don’t wait until the first batch is cooked, the chocolate may solidify and it will be hard to scoop afterwards.