Salted caramel is not only used in so many different desserts, in can also be eaten with some fruit as a little sweet and salty snack, so it was just a matter of time until I started making it and to be honest, if I had know how easy it is to make, I would had made it a long time ago!
As I mentioned, the process to make this is so easy and I hope you are all ready for all the things I want to do with it which I intend to share all about.
This is how I made it
To make salted caramel, all you need is: water, sugar, butter, double cream, vanilla and salt.
All you need to make it is mix the sugar and the water, let it boil and then add the double cream, the vanilla and the salt.
Even though the process is very easy and takes no time, there are actually some tricks that will make you successful in making salted caramel:
- Do not whisk. You can whisk the ingredients before cooking, that is, when you add the water to the sugar, and then once it’s been taken off the heat, but you cannot whisk while it’s cooking, as the sugar may crystalise.
- Add the double cream straight away. Do not let the mix cool down, add the double cream as soon as you take it off the heat.
- Be patient! The caramel sauce cooks at medium heat and it can take it’s time. All the times given in this recipe or any other recipes are based on our cookers, yours may be different, so you will have to keep an eye on it and go with your gut rather than take the timings into consideration.
Ingredients (makes a small portion):
- 60 ml of water
- 100 gr of sugar
- 57 gr of butter
- 60 ml of heavy cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- In a pot, add the sugar and the water and whisk.
- Cook the water over low/medium heat and wait until the sugar dissolves and it starts boiling, mine took about 3-4 minutes. Remember not to whisk!
- Add in the butter, again, do not whisk, but you can give the pot a little shake to make sure that the butter mixes with the water. Just a little shake should be ok, I only did it once and the butter mixed with everything very easily.
- Turn the heat up to medium heat and cook for around 10 minutes. The mix will start boiling and it may rise on the pot a little bit, you will easily see that it starts acquiring a creamy consistency. Leave it cooking until the mix browns and has a caramel colour.
- Once it reaches that stage, take off the heat and pour the double cream straight away, whisk it vigorously until well combined.
- Add in the salt and the vanilla and whisk again.
- Your salted caramel is ready!